|Jeroen Godfried Tel|
Jeroen Tel is a Dutch composer, and is known to be one of the best Commodore 64 musicians, co-founded Maniacs of Noise with Charles Deenen in 1987, a company that continues to produce audio for games to this day. Jeroen started writing music for games when he was only 16. Jeroen continues to write music for his Commodore 64 to this day. Jeroen appreciates his fans' support over the years.
Jeroen's video game music career began in 1987 when he worked for Hewson Consultants. There, he wrote the music and sound for most of their Commodore 64 games until he left in July 1990. in January 1988, he started working for Probe Software and composing music for the NES, Sega Master System, and other home consoles. He remained there until July 1993. Then, he worked for Funcom from 1994 to 1996. In 2004, Jeroen started working for Backbone Entertainment until 2009. Tel is currently a music and sound composer for The Visionaire Group, and continues to compose music for games to this day. He even still runs Maniacs of Noise, which has grown in popularity.
For most of the early consoles Jeroen worked on (Commodore 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, Game Boy, etc.), Jeroen programmed his own sound drivers in the assembly language of the respective consoles (mainly Z80 and 6502.) He would write the music in assembly utilizing hexadecimal values for note frequencies, lengths, and various effects.
Contrary to popular belief, Tel stated that he actually did the NES version of Robocop 3 one night at Probe's headquarters in 1991, and later did the Commodore 64 version.
Jeroen talked about what it was like to write music on the Commodore 64 in an interview with Rob Hubbard (see below). Translated from Dutch:
For NBA Hang Time, Jeroen used GEMS.
- maniacsofnoise.nl - Official.
- youtube.com/user/freejaytea - YouTube.
- facebook.com/jeroen.tel - Facebook.
- twitter.com/maniacsofnoise - Twitter.
- csdb.dk/release/?id=7810 - C64 Disk Interview from March 28, 1990.
- csdb.dk/release/?id=95430 - Interview from circa September 1990.
- atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=interviews&id_interview=89 - Interview from August 1994.
- csdb.dk/release/?id=2547 - C64 Disk Interview from November 21, 1994.
- zakalwe.fi/~shd/texts/imr/c10tel.htm - Interview from 1996.
- sidmusic.org/sid/jtel.html - Interviews from Commodore Zone, June 1997 and 64'er 3/91 (translated from German).
- gamesart.de/gamesart-interview-jeroen-tel/ - Interview from July 27, 2015.
- youtube.com/watch?v=45W1YfAtwEQ - Video Interview with Rob Hubbard.
- youtube.com/watch?v=mfapRvJgOXg - Video Interview (In Dutch).
- youtube.com/watch?v=AdTANxS-LHg - Video Interview (In Dutch).