Masaharu Iwata is a Japanese composer. He was born on October 26, 1966 in Tokyo, Japan. He grew up with music, but when he tried it out for the first time, he was not good at it. During his junior high school days, he became a fan of the band Yellow Magic Orchestra, so he bought a synthesizer and joined a cover band with his friends. Later, video games became very popular in Japan, and Iwata loved video games, so he decided he wanted to try and compose music for them; he applied for a job at Bothtec as a composer and sound designer and he got the job. He remained at the company when their name changed to Quest. He also worked for Pixel as their main composer during their NES development.
In the game Kerropi no Keroriinu no Splash Bomb! (Kerropi and Keroriinu's Splash Bomb!), the only audio credit is attributed to Iwata for sound. However, he once said he only composed two thirds of the music. Iwata does not remember the other composer's name, however, he does remember the composer went under the alias of "Atlas".
Iwata continues to compose music for games to this day and is a part of Basiscape headed by his longtime friend and co-worker, Hitoshi Sakimoto.
In 2017, he left from Basiscape for unknown reasons.
Masaharu programmed a sound engine and wrote the music in assembly.
Most of these games have been verified to have been composed by Masaharu Iwata via his website. The other games have either credited him and he has not listed it on his site, or we have received verification from Masaharu.
Masaharu with Hitoshi Sakimoto. Unknown source.
- web.archive.org/web/20150504221012/http://iwata.cocoebiz.com:80 - Official Website (archived).
- twitter.com/iwata1966 - Twitter.
- web.archive.org/web/20170320173142/http://www.basiscape.com/arts_iwata.html - Official Gameography.
- web.archive.org/web/20060813094855/http://rocketbaby.net/interviews_masaharu_iwata.html - Interview.
- web.archive.org/web/20150422211716/http://iwata.cocoebiz.com/interviews/interview06.shtml - Interview.
- originalsoundversion.com/suikoden-tierkreis-interview-masaharu-iwata-of-basiscape-shares-his-thoughts - Interview.
- famitsu.com/news/201205/12014603.html - Interview (in Japanese).