Freescape Engine is a 3D game engine developed by Incentive Software and used in several games from 1987 to 1992. The Freescape engine is one of the first fully-3D game engines (released for 7 platforms, no less), although it was quite limited and didn't support shading or textured surfaces.
Since Freescape is a game engine rather than a series, not many composers or songs are shared throughout the various releases.
Oddly enough, MS-DOS, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC versions of all 8 games lack any music even for their loaders where the slow CPU didn't matter; it was an option for just Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST and possibly Acorn Archimedes ports. The first game, Driller, is unique in that respect for additionally lacking music in Atari ST port.
- 1 Games
- 1.1 Driller (aka Space Station Oblivion)
- 1.2 Total Eclipse
- 1.3 Dark Side
- 1.4 Total Eclipse II: The Sphinx Jinx
- 1.5 Castle Master
- 1.6 Castle Master II: The Crypt
- 1.7 3D Konstruction Kit (aka Visual Reality Studio)
- 1.8 3D Konstruction Kit II (aka Visual Reality Studio 2.0)
- 1.9 Fan remakes
- 1.10 Fan games using Freescape Engine
- 2 Notable Songs
- 3 Notable Audio Personnel
- 4 Notable Companies
- 5 Links
Driller (aka Space Station Oblivion)
Total Eclipse II: The Sphinx Jinx
Castle Master II: The Crypt
3D Konstruction Kit (aka Visual Reality Studio)
3D Konstruction Kit II (aka Visual Reality Studio 2.0)
These remakes of the Freescape games don't use the original engine, just similar or superior. Yet they share the same story with original games.
Fan games using Freescape Engine
They don't have the same setting or story, just use the same engine for fan games made via 3D Construction Kit I or II.
Amstrad CPC official and unofficial 3D Construction Kit games
- Castle Master - Loader from Castle Master and Castle Master 2: The Crypt games.
- Dark Side - Loader from Dark Side games.
- Driller - Loader from Driller games.
- Total Eclipse - In-game tune from Total Eclipse and Total Eclipse II: The Sphinx Jinx games.
Notable Audio Personnel
- Incentive Software - Developer of the engine.