Ben Daglish is one of the best known composers in the computer game music scene. He was born on July 31, 1966. When he was a baby, his parents moved to Sheffield in the UK. Some of his known works include Deflektor, The Last Ninja, Pac-Mania, and Trap. Mainly, Daglish worked for Gremlin Graphics, Core Design, Teque Software, and Vortex Software.
Daglish got into video games when his schoolfriend Antony Crowther asked him to help on some of the games he was writing. In spring 1986, they started We M.U.S.I.C. (We Make Use of Sound In Computers) to get paid for the music they composed for computer games. In spring 1987, Crowther quit to focus on game programming again and Daglish joined Gremlin in-house, where, contrary to common belief, he had only been a freelancer before.
There is a debate whether Daglish composed Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine (NES). Daglish never composed for consoles, but the programmer of the game, Chris Harvey swears by it that Daglish did in fact work on the music and sound.
A running gag became that his last name was often misspelled, usually as Dalglish.
Unfortunately on October 1, 2018, Ben Daglish lost his battle with lung cancer and passed away. His music will always be remembered by fans and the video game music community.
Up to We M.U.S.I.C., Daglish used a compiler developed by Crowther, one version of which Crowther released in March 1986 as Music Master. At Gremlin, Daglish used another driver. He used filters very sparingly. His C64 is now with Warren Pilkington, a former member of HVSC.
- ben-daglish.net - Official.
- facebook.com/ben.daglish - Facebook.
- mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,10382/ - MobyGames.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Daglish - Wikipedia.
- youtube.com/watch?v=ZCrFh4C6FM8 - Video Interview.
- www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=016&page=040&magazine=zzap - Interview with Rob Hubbard, Daglish, Crowther and David Whittaker at the same time from August 1986.
- zakalwe.fi/~shd/texts/imr/c164benn.htm - Interview from October 19, 1996.
- heechee.net/c64/ninja/crew.php - Interview from August 10, 1998.
- karsmakers.nl/metal-e-zine/benn.htm - Interview from September 1998.
- remix64.com/interviews/interview-ben-daglish.html - Interview from March 26, 2001.
- web.archive.org/web/20101228160110/http://www.c64.com/audio/Ben%20Daglish%20and%20Antony%20Crowther%20%5BBack%20in%20Time%20Live%202001%20interview.mp3 - Audio interview with Daglish and Crowther at the same time from 2001.
- web.archive.org/web/20021223065513/http://c64audio.valuehost.co.uk/edge/ca_daglish.htm - Interview from November 2002.
- lemon64.com/interviews/ben_daglish.php - Interview from February 6, 2004.
- archive.org/details/Sinclair_ZX_Spectrum_and_Commodore_64_Book-2012/page/n133/mode/2up - Two Interviews from 2012.
- blog.retrokompott.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/RETRO-COMPUTER-LEGENDS-003-DaglishLOW.mp3 - Audio interview from January 2016.