|Type:||Hardware & Software|
The Commodore Amiga is the successor to the popular Commodore 64. The first model was released in 1985. The Amiga 500 model was the best selling home computer of the late 1980s. The Amiga featured better graphics and sound than its competitors, sported a graphical user interface, and true multitasking. Unfortunately, DOS ended up winning over the PC market, and the Amiga couldn't keep Commodore from going out of business.
Music and Sound
The Amiga used the Paula chip, which uses four sound channels, two for the left speaker, and two for the right to give stereo output. With the sampled instrument capabilities, some composers took advantage of the chip to make a chord as one sampled instrument so it would sound like the Amiga was playing more than four instruments at the same time.
Music for games was usually written in MOD format, but sometimes could be different file names due to the software being used or the composers programming their own sound driver. There were many other custom engines and tracker formats like DL (David Lowe), DW (David Whittaker), JT (Jeroen Tel), HIP, HIPC (both Jochen Hippel), MC (Mark Cooksey), OKT, WB (Wally Beben) and so on; only MOD and IFF are in use nowadays.
It should be noted that because of the Amiga's filenaming method of putting the file format before the file name, most players on other computers, while they can in fact play the files, won't see them automatically.
The Amiga has two kinds of RAM: Samples must be in the Chip RAM as Paula can access only that. Notes and code should be in the Fast RAM as the CPU can indeed access it faster. This is one reason why in some formats, samples are in a separate file from the rest.
All Amiga games can be ripped in CUST or SC68 format; many of them have these rips, or rips in custom formats like DL, DW, JT, MC, MOD, OKT and so on. But there are still many known Amiga games that don't have any known rip even in custom formats, or have incomplete rips; here is the list of them:
- Bionic Commando (AMI) - incomplete, lacks End of Stage - Bionic Commando
- Death Knights of Krynn (AMI)
- DragonStrike (AMI)
- Dragons of Flame (AMI)
- Driller (AMI)
- Eye of the Beholder (AMI)
- Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon (AMI)
- Faces ...tris III (AMI)
- Gateway to the Savage Frontier (AMI)
- It Came From the Desert (AMI)/It Came From The Desert 2 - both lack Are You Still Mine.
- King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! (AMI)
- Mach 3 (AMI)
- Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World (AMI)
- Shadow Sorcerer (AMI)
- Ski or Die (AMI)
- The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge (AMI)
- Treasures of the Savage Frontier (AMI)
- Ultima III: Exodus (AMI)
- Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (AMI)
- Wings of Death (AMI) - lacks Please Wait
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga - Wikipedia.